Friday, October 26, 2007

Possibly the best gig that I have attended this year (well so far) , I went for Powerpop/Rock band The Click Five's showcase last night which took place at MOS with Angeline .

Organised by 987FM , Warner Music S'pore & Gibson Guitars , 987 Stripped With The Click Five was simply awesome awesome awesome & despite suffering a lack of sleep now with the fact that I had to attend school real early this morning , it was worth every single bit .

Before I narrate last night's event & happenings , let me say that I have been a fan of The Click Five for almost 2 years now ever since their debut single Just The Girl which was written by Fountains of Wayne's Adam Schlesinger . Curiosity got the better of me & I went to check up on them & I downloaded their debut album Greetings From Imrie house off the net . I like what I heard & eventually I bought their debut album from HMV .

& honestly there's more to life than Just The Girl & Catch Your Wave ok . There're other fabulous tracks on their debut in which it's a pity the songs weren't released as singles .

Songs that I heart big time on the debut were Say Goodnight , I Take My Chances , Friday Night .

They hailed from Boston , Massachusetts of the US of A & when they 1st debuted on the scene , they wore matching suits & their original frontman Eric Dill was the lead singer & part of the original lineup .

& the fact that all 5 guys are handsome , cute , talented in each of his own individual way is a super big plus to me . In fact , the 1st guy in the band that caught my attention was the bassist Ethan Mentzer , followed by keyboardist Ben Romans !





This was taken from mtvasia.com when they stopped by S'pore a year ago & the original frontman Eric's the 2nd guy from the left & I remembered when they came around last April or so , Angeline went for their maiden S'pore showcase which took place at Zouk & I didn't went for it .

Even up to now , I still kinda regret that I did not went for their Zouk showcase as no 1 expected that soon after , Eric decided to leave the band which was surprisingly unexpected & not to mention shocking .

A few months later after I got a MySpace account , I went to The Click Five's official MySpace around June or so this year & found out that they have recruited a new lead singer & uploaded a new song on their MySpace which turned out to be the future monster hit Jenny .

Initally when I 1st heard Jenny , I didn't liked it & couldn't really adapt well to the then new lead singer's vocals . I think it was only after the remaining 4 members revealed the identify of their new frontman which changed everything & of course die hard Click Five fans would know that Kyle Patrick's the new Click on the block & when I 1st saw Kyle's pic , I was !!!! big time as he's super cute & no surprises that he's real popular with the ladies & he's only 21 which's like woo & yes I'm totally smitten with him after I saw him in person last night .





Kyle's the dude in the centre of the pic & trust me he looks even better , cuter , taller in real life !

After that was cleared outta the way , I was waiting in anticipation for the band's 2nd album & the 1st with Kyle's vocals on the tracks . Modern Minds And Pastimes was finally released in USA on 26th June '07 .

I had my reservations as to whether Modern Minds And Pastimes will sound better , musically & then some as their debut was really good but my fears were squashed when I finally heard the new material featuring Kyle's vocals & honestly , I love the 2nd album a lot more than the debut & I thought they couldn't top it out with a better sounding album & they proved me wrong & Kyle has aced in my books since obviously he has big shoes to fill in since Eric left & to me they did not suffered the much dreaded sophomore syndrome , music wise .


& at least now , they have ditched wearing matching suits & thrown in a bit of a casual look to their style of dressing which I honestly feel it's a bit tacky for the band to wear matching suits initally & it looked cheesy but at least now it's better .

Apparently I read in the papers that Kyle said it was probably his hair that led him to secure the new frontman spot in the band . Er..maybe so but he said in a phone interview that according to guitarist Joe Guese , it's Kyle's guitar which led him to get the job & the guitar in question was a Fender Telecaster .

At 1st , I thought the 2nd album would be out in S'pore around Sept or so but I was very happy when I saw it in the shops around the last week of Aug & I bought 1 straightaway off the rack & I found this inside the CD :





Front :



Back :



in which the invite pass came in handy for me . Angeline was the 1 who texted me that the album was finally out in S'pore . She's a hardcore Westlife , McFly & Click Five fan so hats up to her .

& what I saw in the invite pass made me really excited as it means that The Click Five will be stopping by S'pore once again in time to come which turned out to be this week .

I registered early for the autograph session & Warner Music emailed me back to say that Angeline & I got a chance to go for their showcase at MOS as both of us were among the 1st 200 to register for the autograph session in which I was very excited when I saw the email as prior to last night , I have not caught the guys in performance so I was stoked .


Last night was the 3rd time that Angeline caught the band in performance but the 1st performance with Kyle on board .

Hui Li was bummed that she didn't got the chance to go with me last night as I wasn't able to get tickets via 987 & she had to make do with Wed night when The Click Five was on TV where they performed at the finale of Live The Dream where they did Empty & Jenny & it was quite funny when she & I were going super gaga over the guys & there was a brief moment when Ben was 1/2 naked in the dressing room . That was priceless especially since that was live on TV whee

Ok now it's back to what exactly happened last night .

I met up with Angeline & after dinner at Central , we were off to MOS in which it's my 1st time there . I know I'm such a club wuss but whatever .

I want to skip as to what happened prior to before the showcase started but let's just say that the crowd control at MOS was very bad & dis-organised & I never seen such a big crowd in my life .

& I thought the MRT crowd that I have to face during peak hours whether is it daytime or night time was bad . Last night was worst .

Both of us were finally inside MOS as 987 Stripped was about to start & the security guards were saying the event would end at 9pm sharp . I was inside MOS at around 7.50pm or so & there were already so many people inside the place , it was insane & it doesn't help matters that the stupid (family shared) Fujifilm camera that I brought along with me , whatever pics I took last night , the images on the camera screen all turned out really blur & wack .

That's it , I'm going to get my own camera in due time so basically taking pics of the band last night was pointless as MOS was packed like crazy but I must say MOS's a cool place . I don't mind to go back again ie. if future gigs were to take place there !

The Muttons At Midnight , Vernon A & Justin Ang were the hosts of the event & by then , they got 3 people from the crowd to compete against each other to win a gorgeous Gibson Hummingbird acoustic guitar which was autographed by the band !

Giving away a Gibson guitar was 1 thing but a Gibson Hummingbird acoustic guitar + the fact that it was autographed by the band ?! Double woah much ?

I know Gibson guitars are expensive but a Gibson Hummingbird acoustic guitar takes the cake . I know a bit of guitar knowledge & etc but I heard a Gibson Hummingbird acoustic guitar's probably selling at around S$40000 - S$6000 + a pop in the shops . I'm not sure , I could be wrong but 1 thing I know's that it's very expensive but yet it's a gorgeous guitar .

Wonder if there's a Epiphone Hummingbird acoustic guitar available in the market ? Somehow , I don't think so ...

After that was wrapped up , the whole crowd was pumped up & was psyched to see The Click Five performed & everyone including myself was chanting "Click Five ! Click Five ! Click Five" just like what happened in the beginning of the video of Catch Your Wave .

Since MOS's 2 stories high , I gestured to Angeline to head upstairs to get a better view or so & thank goodness we did the right thing .

Finally around 8pm or so , the guys took the stage & I swear the whole club went hysterical including me . I was like 'omg I'm at a Click Five showcase in that I finally got the chance to catch the guys in performance' & that feeling didn't sank in til the showcase started .

I thought 987 Stripped's a segment where songs are done acoustic so I had the assumption that The Click Five would be doing an acoustic set but no man that didn't happened last night .

Instead the showcase was a pure rock & roll event & the band kicked things off with Addicted To Me in which I was surprised as I know Hui Li doesn't like the song . For me I find it not too bad aside from the intro in which there was a bit of an overdose of the synths no thanks to Ben but honestly after they did that live last night , I love it now !

Most of the songs that the band played last night were material from Modern Minds & Pastimes & all 5 of them looked even better in person in the form of Ethan (despite the fact that I don't like his hairstyle now) , Ben (weird but cool hippie look he was spotting last night with big black geeky specs) , Joe , drummer Joey Zehr (Angeline's fave member & I know she has the hots for him . Joey's cute in my books) & last but not least Kyle .

The audience was going nuts over Kyle & he's surprisingly taller & more charming in real life & his hair's longer now . My mum was making a joke on Wed night in that Kyle's legs's like Hui Lin , long & thin . Then again both Hui Lin & Kyle's body build's the same in that both of them are tall & thin & it's true , Kyle's lean but I think he should eat a bit more , a bit too skinny in my opinion .

I think he hovers around the same height as Caleb , I'm not sure just a rough estimation .

After Addicted To Me , it was track no.1 on the album Flipside & it was followed by Angeline's fave track Happy Birthday & the crowd was awesome lah . Everyone was singing to the songs that The Click Five played & not just the songs they have released , it's practically every track that the band played last night , everyone was singing to the tunes from the start to the end which was amazing .

Later on , things were slowed down with their brand new 2nd single Empty . Now I have to admit when I 1st heard Empty , I did not like it as it sounded too slow & sappy for my liking but after last night , things changed & it's officially 1 of my fave Click Five songs now especially at the end , when things got loud . It's a ballad yes but the song was closed with great guitar works .

+ it's the only track that Kyle has a hand in cowriting it with Ben on the album so I think that's extra special for Kyle .

After in which The Click Five cranked up a notch or 2 with When I'm Gone & I heart the song super big time when I 1st heard it & I was stoked when they did that live last night & the live performance of it was great . It was followed by Kyle's own rendition of Good Day , track no.1 off The Click Five's debut album Greetings From Imrie House & I must say Kyle's rendition's not bad at all although somehow I still prefer the original version done by Eric .

Soon after , the band played possibly their biggest hit to date Jenny & I tell you , this's when the crowd started to go extra crazy & even louder than before . Everyone was going ballistic & sang the chorus of Jenny . So much so that when Kyle took a breather at the last part of the song , the crowd more or less helped him to sing finish the last chorus of Jenny .


Finally they closed off the set with their last song (or is it ? ) with Headlight Disco & that's 1 hell of a sexy track . I read reviews that people don't like Addicted To Me & Headlight Disco but I do like both tracks .

For Headlight Disco , it will be better if they omitted the part where there's this girl which she said this phase "headlight disco keep your eyes on the road , headlight disco" a couple of times in the song & that's super cheesy to me but other than that , I'm cool with the song .

After the band left the stage , the Muttons came back & was psyching up the crowd as to whether we want more of The Click Five & of course it's a no brainer , the answer's yes & apparently an encore was not planned but cos of the fact that the guys were super nice , they were game for it & they performed Empty the 2nd time in a row & not only that , they told the whole crowd that they were shooting the video for Empty right here in S'pore aka like now when they're performing Empty again which's awesome stuff .

I look forward to see that being aired on MTV real soon if you ask me & what better way to end the night in that they closed their set finally with 2-3 instrumental no.s & it was damn shiok & I could tell that Kyle & Ethan were really good guitarists .

I remembered earlier on when Kyle was introducing the members 1 by 1 like who's who in the band , when it was finally his turn to say his name , everyone in the crowd all screamed for him the most & the screams were even louder than what the other members got from the audience . It's no secret that Kyle's damn popular with the ladies . Even Ben said so anyway so yup .

So last night songlist set as followed :

1) Addicted To Me
2) Flipside
3) Happy Birthday
4) Empty
5) When I'm Gone
6) Good Day
7) Jenny
8) Headlight Disco

Encore :

Empty (again)
Instrumental no.s

if you ask me , I was a bit sore that they did not performed my fave track on the album Long Way To Go and also The Reason Why + Mary Jane + All I Need Is You but nevertheless , it was a great showcase that they put up & it was brillant to be able to finally catch them in performance for the longest time .

Soon after that , the Muttons asked the band to come back again as the duo wanted to do some Fan Appreciation segment in which the Muttons played radio snippets of 3 fans who called in 987 in which they had to sing a few lines from any Click Five songs in order to win tickets to 987 Stripped .

& the best part was that all 3 of them got to come up onstage & shook hands with everyone in Click Five which was really cool & after that , the band presented a lucky winner with an autographed Gibson Hummingbird acoustic guitar .

BUT the fun wasn't over yet . Angeline & I head to the Kandi Bar after things for 987 Stripped has finally wrapped up & we were off to the Kandi Bar to attend the autograph session & this time , I was trying to be more careful than before as when I stepped inside MOS just now , I almost tripped & fell a couple of times as the floor's not even .







I got a shock when I finally reached Kandi Bar as there was already a long queue outside of the venue . Man & I thought that time when I queued up for Corrinne May's autograph session last Dec at Esplanade , the crowd was bad . Last night queue was even longer & I think people who were passing by were probably wondering what the hell was going on since you don't get such queues nowadays since the McDonalds days where people were queuing up like crazy to get hold of the Hello Kitty & Dear Daniel soft toys .

But at least 1 thing's for sure , at least there's better crowd control this time round unlike before I stepped inside MOS & surprisingly , the crowd moved inside Kandi Bar pretty fast & just imagine , I was getting worried I might probably take 3-4 hours in order to get the band to sign my CD .

There were a lot of Click Five merchanise being sold outside of Kandi Bar , including stuff like pre-autographed posters , T-shirts & etc . I wanted to buy the poster but it will set me for S$20 which was insane so I decided to take a pass as I figure it's not worth it to pay so much for a poster .

Angeline & I were finally let inside Kandi Bar & the guys were somewhat inside a fenced area . Er...nice . I let Angeline go inside the fenced area where the guys were sitting down signing the CDs & Joe was downing a bottle of Tiger Beer .

Too bad the guys only can sign the CD sleeve & not other things since there were restrictions as to what they can sign only . Damn .

When it was finally my turn to meet the guys for a short while when they were signing my CD sleeve , I shook their hands respectively . Kyle was 1st in line , followed by Joey , Joe , Ben (who has ditched the black geeky specs) & last but not least Ethan & I must say Joey's eyes are very nice but it was a great feeling that I finally got the chance to meet the band in person despite limited contact time but still it's fanastic & yeah man , all 5 of them looked even better in real life especially Ethan , Ben & Kyle .

I usually don't get star struck but last night I was like seriously .





& what do you know , I didn't go back by cab after all ! Instead Angeline & I walked back to where she stayed cos I was wondering for the longest time where exactly she stays at but at least now I know where's her house & I took the bus back home which saved me quite a lot of $ on cab fare .

Overall I had a brillant night yesterday & it was more than what I would expect to be . It was amazing catching 1 of my fave artistes live in performance & it's said that they will be coming back to S'pore in due time . Hopefully next time when they're back , they will staged a full length concert at the indoor stadium . I will go for it that's for sure .

& because I wasn't able to take any good pics of the band last night , here're some pics taken from mtvasia.com in which they opened for the Black Eyed Peas's Black , Blue and You tour on Mon , 22nd Oct .



the very 1st member who caught my eye in the band , bassist Ethan Mentzer :





Told you I don't like his new hairstyle . I want him to revert back to the hairstyle he was spotting in the video of Jenny or better yet , back in the old days .

Lead Guitarist Joe Guese :



Angeline's fave member , drummer Joey Zehr :



I think Angeline's influence's starting to rub on me . I'm starting to like Joey more than before . I think it must be his blue eyes .

The man behind the keys , Ben Romans :





I know what you're thinking . I do as well . He looked a bit weird in there but he's hot in my books . Guys who play the keyboards are sexy to me & honestly I find that Ben looked way older than his age in the band's old press pics but now he somewhat looks younger & I dig the scuffy look though .

This's a much much better pic of Ben upclose :



Told you he's hot :)

& of course last but definitely not least , the oh so hot hot hot frontman Kyle Patrick :








Nice legs Kyle haha & look at his hair


Last night will be a night I will never forget , you can count on it !

++++++++

:: Me Me Me ::



Name :: Hui Min / Karen

B'Day :: 10.1.1987

Occupation :: Uni Student

Location :: Singapore

Been Blogging Since :: 7th Feb '05

No Music No Life - My Music Blog @ Blogspot

------------------+++------------------

:: Posts Worth Checking Out ::

* Happy 3rd Anniversary , KAT-TUN !
* On My Mind Eng Translated Lyrics
* RESCUE Eng Translated Lyrics
* Believe Eng Translated Lyrics
* ONE DROP Eng Translated Lyrics
* Last Post Before 2009
* truth/Kaze no Mukou e Eng Translated Lyrics
* The Click Five's Modern Minds And Great Times Tour
* Early Celebrations Of My 21st B'Day
* Inspirations From Hema's Blog Entry
* 2007 On A Glance
* Aust In A Nutshell
* 987 Stripped With The Click Five + Autograph Session
* 5 Things You Don't Need To Know About The Click Five
* Electrico @ Sony Ericsson's Traffic Jam Street Party @ Connaught Drive
* Caracal & SkiVe In Performance @ Esplanade
* Feeling Good With Nathan Hartono
* Rock For Wayne
* Witnessing SkiVe Doing The Recording Of 987 Home
* Lunarin Does Acoustic @ library@esplanade
* Another Sunday Afternoon @ Far East Plaza
* 987 Control Songlist Set
* The Observatory @ NUS's UCC Theatre
* Sending Electrico Off
* Lunarin's Read My Lips @ NUS's UCC
* Live In New Wave Pics Galore
* Electrico's Live In New Wave Concert Details
* Electrico Going On Indefinite Hiatus
* My Long OverDue B'day Pressie
* Electrico Performs At Ngee Ann Open House
* Happy 20th B'day To Me !
* Stasis9 With Lunarin
* 2006 Recaps
* Christmas With Corrinne May
* Say Hello To My New Friend
* Power Rangers - Forever Red
* LIME Sonic Bang Mayhem Round 2
* LIME Sonic Bang Mayhem Round 1
* Explore S'pore With Astreal & Electrico
* Genting Trip {24th - 27th Nov '06}
* Gigs Galore Here I Come !
* A Pet Kitty Named Homework
* Out & About With Lunarin
* Happy 'Unofficial Electrico' 2nd Anniversary !
* Hady Da New S'pore Idol & Then Some
* Love In New Wave's No1 !
* Forums Emerged
* Waterfest Mayhem
* Electrico's Amazing Race Asia Tour Gig Details
* Bar None Rock Affair Gig Details
* Bar None Rock Affair Soundcheck/Before Gig Details
* NDP Eve Countdown Gig @ Esplanade With Electrico
* New Friendship Forged
* Amusing Accident Account
* My CD Review Of Electrico's 2nd Album Hip City
* 2006 ITE Graduation
* 1st Blog Anniversary
* 2005 Recap
* Double Bill Gig @ Bar None Part 1
* Double Bill Gig @ Bar None Part 2
* Fabled Angst Machine Lyrics
* Double Bill Gig Tickets Pics
* Double Bill Gig News
* Electrico's Sound Therapy Gig @ Esplanade

------------------+++------------------

:: Archives ::

* May 2005
* June 2005
* July 2005
* August 2005
* September 2005
* October 2005
* November 2005
* December 2005
* January 2006
* February 2006
* March 2006
* April 2006
* May 2006
* June 2006
* July 2006
* August 2006
* September 2006
* October 2006
* November 2006
* December 2006
* January 2007
* February 2007
* March 2007
* April 2007
* May 2007
* June 2007
* July 2007
* August 2007
* September 2007
* October 2007
* November 2007
* December 2007
* January 2008
* February 2008
* March 2008
* April 2008
* May 2008
* June 2008
* July 2008
* August 2008
* September 2008
* October 2008
* November 2008
* December 2008
* January 2009
* February 2009
* March 2009
* April 2009
* May 2009
* June 2009
* July 2009
* August 2009
* September 2009
* October 2009
* November 2009
* December 2009

------------------+++------------------

:: Other Blogger Folks ::

* Hui Li
* Hui Lin
* Maggie
* Caleb
* Serene
* Dila
* Hema
* June
* BaoSui
* Saha
* Fieza
* Tim
* Khairil
* Skylar
* Jun Xiang
* Raid
* Jia Rong
* Zuwei
* Gen
* Guo Wei
* Travis
* Jasmine

------------------+++------------------

:: Other Links ::

* Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
* videocodezone
* downloadyoutubevideos
* KeepVid
* A-Nation
* musizislife77
* Music-Omatic
* Ali's Blog
* PopAddicted
* JPopKPop Downloads
* Asian Nation
* Japan-Roll
* AiPop
* occhiamandorla
* BeyondTheSea
* Ayumi Hamasaki -|- SEASONS -|-
* Divine Ayu
* Ayumi Lyrics
* Wiki.theppn.org
* Carbsmart Success Stories
* ILoveAtkins
* Atkins Carb Counter
* Atkins Success Stories
* About.com : Low Carb Diets
* Low Carb Help & Info
* SugarFreeSheila
* Darkstalkers
* Zedge
* Gareth Gates Forums
* 987FM Webcam
* VG Museum
* Fighters Generation
* Manga Translations
* Games Ending Screenshots
* Soundbuzz News
* Mileena
* Perlini Silver
* Ben 10 Episode Guide
* Martin Mystery Episode Guide
* Totally Spies Episode Guide
* American Dragon Episode Guide
* The Batman Episode Guide
* DayDreamGraphics
* MyFreeWallPapers
* My Scene Games
* DC Comics
* Marvel
* Flaming Text
* Batman Beyond
* Batman : TAS
* Jack's Place
* StarHub Cable TV
* Power Rangers Central

------------------+++------------------

:: Poem ::

O Mortals !
What is Love
That binds beyond life on earth ?

To all corners
in a pair we fly
Braving summer
and winter by and by

Union is bliss ;
parting is woe !
Agony is boundless
for a lovelorn soul !

Sweetheart ,
give me word ...
Trail of clouds
drifting forward ...

Amid mountains
capped with snow
Whither shall
my lonesome
shadow go ??

------------------+++------------------

:: Credits ::



Jars Of Jupiter