Sunday, December 17, 2006

Wow double wow yesterday's Christmas With Corrinne May concert's just amazing beyond words & I was so glad that I was able to catch 1 of S'pore most talented & gifted musician/pianist when she staged a sold out concert at the Esplanade Concert Hall yesterday night.It's like FINALLY I got the chance to watch Corrinne May live in performance YAY

My mum's 2nd older sister whom I always called Ah Yee , tagged along with me cos in a way she was curious to see Corrinne May live in performance . Whereas for me , I wanted to catch her performance for the longest time . Cos of the fact that she has been based in LA for the past few years or so , whenever she make a trip back to S'pore to perform , always , all the time , tickets to her concerts will be sold out . Yeah she's that good !

That was what happened when she returned back to S'pore last year . I wanted to get tickets to her performance which was also held at The Esplanade but unfortunately I was too late . Everything was snapped up in no time within a week . Even Dan wanted to go for her concert but he also didn't had luck haha

Ah Yee drives so transporation wise , was not a problem for yesterday . She packed at The Esplanade even though the packing fees were terrible.

After having dinner at Raffles Citylink Mall , walked around the place to do some window shopping . I went to MPH bookshop to browse though the magazines selection that they had & yay , they do sell Aust magazine Girlfriend after all ! in which btw it's priced slightly cheaper here at S$7.50 . If I were to go to Genting to buy it , it will set me at RM18.90 !

A while later , we headed back to The Esplanade cos the distance from Raffles Citylink Mall to there , it's quite a distance away from each other & as I wasn't wearing long sleeve , I borrowed my mum's Joan Allen jacket from her just for today but it turned out that when I stepped inside The Esplanade Concert Hall , it wasn't as cold as I thought it will be .

I remembered the very 1st time I went to The Esplanade to catch a performance was the 1st very time I caught Electrico's gig at Sound Therapy which took place at The Recital Studio which brought back lots of great memories for me so I suppose whenever I pass by The Esplanade , I always remembered fondly about Sound Therapy & also the NDP eve countdown gig that they did just recently this Aug.

I remembered that The Recital Studio only can accomodate about like what 245 people ? The Esplanade Concert Hall can sit almost 1,811 people & yes everything was sold out & the venue that Corrinne's concert took place , was very grand & majestic .

If you look at the pics below on how the concert hall's , it's even more stylish & posh looking in real life . My jaw dropped when I stepped inside for the 1st time man .


The place's 3 stories high & unfortunately or not when I got my tickets , I wasn't allocated the best seats in the house cos when I went to sistic to get them , less than 100 seats worth S$50 & only 1 S$70 were left ! & the seats that were left , they weren't the best ones so I had no choice .

The concert started around 7.35pm & Corrinne's accompanied by the SYC Ensemble Singers , Joshua Wan (bass) , Kenn Chua (guitars) , Wen Ming Soh (drums) , Kavin Hoo (keys/music director) , Reggie Perera (percussion) & a string ensemble & oh I must add , Kavin's also her husband/producer & he mastered & produced all of Corrinne's albums as well !

Corrinne walked into stage wearing a classy blue halter gown with slits at the back & I must say she's very pretty & more gorgeous in real life . She sat at her piano & kicked off with a great redition of Slient Night , followed by the upbeat Hark The Herald Angels Sing & O Come O Come Emmanuel .

Here & there , she paused to talk to the audience , recounted some amusing xmas stories & she really knows how to joke in a good way .

If you have Corrinne's CDs or know how she sounds like on records , let me tell you , she sounds exactly the same when she sang live yesterday night ! I know , she's damn good & doesn't lip synch at all . I mean how often can artistes boost about this accode? In that what you hear on a CD is exactly the same as what you get in a performance.

Followed by O Come O Come Emmanuel , she did Be Thou My Vision , What Child Is This & a song taken from her 2nd album Safe In A Crazy World which was Angel In Disguise . The only song that she did from her previous record .

I was hoping that she would do more songs from her Safe In A Crazy World record but alas that didn't happened . At least she in a way more than make up for it by doing new songs from her upcoming brand new album which's scheduled to hit stores somewhere next year & it's tentatively titled Beautiful Seed .

& yup after she did a great somewhat rockish redition of Angel In Disguise , she did Beautiful Seed & In The Bleak . Now , the song title's In The Bleak , it's supposedly to be longer but the last few words or so , I didn't catch it so apologises .

After which , it was followed by What Child Is This before a 15 mins intermission took place aka break time . In which after the break , she will be backed up by a choir group in which she said that it should be fun .

Both me & Ah Yee went outside the concert hall , I asked her whether does she liked Corrinne's performance & she said that she doesn't :( cos according to Ah Yee , Corrinne seems to be swallowing her words whenever she does her own reditions of xmas songs & that she can't hear what Corrinne's singing about . Geez

But you know what ? To each his own . I mean the artistes that I like to listen & all , you might not like them so no point in arguing with her about this somewhat petty matter & besides music's subjective , period .

After the intermission , Corrinne's back onstage & her husband Kavin who plays the keyboards , sometimes plays the piano into the final stretch of her set & it's just Corrinne sitting on a stool , just singing away which was great .

& this time , she's backed up by a choir group where she proceeded onto doing Hail Mary , Angels We Have Heard On High in which I really like it & then O Come All Ye Faithful .

Followed by supposedly a new song from Corrinne , in the form of Do You Hear What I Hear , the beautiful haunting The Answer & another new song On My Way in which she mentioned it's the 1st time that everyone in the audience hears this song yay & everyone appluaded when that was said .

& then she did another new song which's called 5 Note & 2 Fishes . Er that's what I think lah & she closed the set with the perfect song , Joy To The World . Or not .

After she finished , everyone started to clap even louder than before cos WE WANT ENCORE WE WANT ENCORE & sure enough , she was back on stage once again & the last 2 songs that she did , it's just her sitting on the stool with her husband backing her up on piano . Just like that , it's such a simple yet classy music arrangment .

But before that , she being a natural , thanked everyone profusely from the camera men , to the sound crew , to the musicians that accompanied & backed her up , her parents that were somewhere in the audience yesterday night to her & her husband's piano teachers & haha she recounted some horrible stories with her teacher & that she drove her teacher up the wall back then heh heh

For Corrinne's encore set , she did My Grown Up Christmas List & Have Yourself A Lil' Merry Christmas before eventually calling a night & I have to say that she blown me away big time , she has a great distinct voice just like Evanescence's Amy Lee , Lunarin's Linda (yes Linda I know no need to thank me heh heh :) ) & she rocks playing the piano while singing & hopefully when she returned back to S'pore the next time , she will play more songs from her new album in which I really can't wait to get my hands on a copy that's for sure !

So after her concert was wrapped up for the night , almost everyone made their way to the foyer cos she was staging an autograph session there & I tell you , almost 300 people or so queued up just to get her to sign things . I think even afer I left , Corrinne was still there signing things away & also taking pics with her fans too ! Man...

Apparently when she staged a post autograph session last year at The Esplanade as well , the turnout was almost the same as yesterday night . Well that was what I heard from a staff working there & the people assisting Corrinne are smart !

Why ? cos there was this lady walking down the crowd & she was tearing pieces of paper from her small notebook in asking folks to write down their names & passed the slips of paper to Corrinne later on when she sees them & in which when she get them autographed in which I thought it's good.

I join the queue at 9.50pm or so & I waited almost 2 hours before Corrinne signed my things but it was worth the wait & to think initally I wanted to leave my 2 CDs ( I didn't bought her debut Fly Away) in Ah Yee's car ! Thank goodness I didn't & it was so nice in finally meeting Corrinne upclose & personal .

I told her that now & then , I would leave comments on her MySpace site & that the performance she staged eariler was magnificient & a class affair on its own .

Below are the things that Corrinne had so kindly helped me to get them autographed :

autographed Safe In A Crazy World CD sleeve which's her 2nd album btw

autographed The Gift CD sleeve which's her latest xmas album

she autographed my tickets too yay

front cover of my autographed pamplet

back cover of the pamplet

Finally left the place with Ah Yee at almost close to midnight & I felt bad that she had to wait alongside with me . Well sorta & no offense to her but I realised that if you go to such performances/gigs with people , it's no fun at all cos they don't really know how to appericate & join in the fun in more ways or another & I could tell that Ah Yee didn't really enjoyed the concert :S

Next time , it's best to go alone or just grab someone with the same music interests with you then . That will be more fun or alternative , just go on your own . At least you don't need to wait for people in the toilet , wait for people to arrive til eventually they didn't showed up cos for some last min events that cropped up at the 11th hour , etc etc.

But I appericate the fact that Ah Yee was willing to spend the evening yesterday night with me in attending Corrinne May's concert . Hui Li would love to go but as usual , football occupied her time -.- & when I got back home , she was saying that she didn't watched it at the end damn

But I more than in a way make it up for her by giving her an autographed Corrinne May pamplet which made Hui Li really happy seeing that she's also a fan of Corrinne's music too.

But yeah I really enjoyed every single min of Corrinne's concert yesterday night . What better way than to end the year with attending & watching her performance & you bet this's not the last gig/performance/concert that I'm attending .

In a way or so , this's how I party cos I mean I don't like to go to clubs/discos/pubs so yup this's my own way of partying aka going to cool gigs/performances/concerts & you know what ? this's only the beginning & I possibly should coin up a term for it . Mmm... I don't know "par-gig" ? With the combination words of party & gig , geddit ?

Madness , ever since I started 'partying' in Aug this year , this has been a non stop affair but I'm not complaining . I enjoyed all the gigs that I attended so far . In fact I definitely will have more to attend & 'party' next year . So far I have already more or less confirmed with 2 gigs next year in which I'm looking foward to .

Of course , there has to be a limit in everything & thankfully , my parents are ok with me attending such gigs as long as it doesn't affect my studies , let her know where I'm going & such but I know my limits at the end of the day cos you can't expect me to attend every single gig of Lunarin or Electrico . That will be crazy cos at the end of the day , they will still be doing the same 'ol same 'ol lineup of songs . Also it depends on day/time/venue as well.

& it's always fun , turning up at gigs & showing apperication & support for my friends & also the bands/musicians that specially takes time & effort to put up great shows for everyone to watch.

++++++++

:: Me Me Me ::



Name :: Hui Min / Karen

B'Day :: 10.1.1987

Occupation :: Uni Student

Location :: Singapore

Been Blogging Since :: 7th Feb '05

No Music No Life - My Music Blog @ Blogspot

------------------+++------------------

:: Posts Worth Checking Out ::

* Happy 3rd Anniversary , KAT-TUN !
* On My Mind Eng Translated Lyrics
* RESCUE Eng Translated Lyrics
* Believe Eng Translated Lyrics
* ONE DROP Eng Translated Lyrics
* Last Post Before 2009
* truth/Kaze no Mukou e Eng Translated Lyrics
* The Click Five's Modern Minds And Great Times Tour
* Early Celebrations Of My 21st B'Day
* Inspirations From Hema's Blog Entry
* 2007 On A Glance
* Aust In A Nutshell
* 987 Stripped With The Click Five + Autograph Session
* 5 Things You Don't Need To Know About The Click Five
* Electrico @ Sony Ericsson's Traffic Jam Street Party @ Connaught Drive
* Caracal & SkiVe In Performance @ Esplanade
* Feeling Good With Nathan Hartono
* Rock For Wayne
* Witnessing SkiVe Doing The Recording Of 987 Home
* Lunarin Does Acoustic @ library@esplanade
* Another Sunday Afternoon @ Far East Plaza
* 987 Control Songlist Set
* The Observatory @ NUS's UCC Theatre
* Sending Electrico Off
* Lunarin's Read My Lips @ NUS's UCC
* Live In New Wave Pics Galore
* Electrico's Live In New Wave Concert Details
* Electrico Going On Indefinite Hiatus
* My Long OverDue B'day Pressie
* Electrico Performs At Ngee Ann Open House
* Happy 20th B'day To Me !
* Stasis9 With Lunarin
* 2006 Recaps
* Christmas With Corrinne May
* Say Hello To My New Friend
* Power Rangers - Forever Red
* LIME Sonic Bang Mayhem Round 2
* LIME Sonic Bang Mayhem Round 1
* Explore S'pore With Astreal & Electrico
* Genting Trip {24th - 27th Nov '06}
* Gigs Galore Here I Come !
* A Pet Kitty Named Homework
* Out & About With Lunarin
* Happy 'Unofficial Electrico' 2nd Anniversary !
* Hady Da New S'pore Idol & Then Some
* Love In New Wave's No1 !
* Forums Emerged
* Waterfest Mayhem
* Electrico's Amazing Race Asia Tour Gig Details
* Bar None Rock Affair Gig Details
* Bar None Rock Affair Soundcheck/Before Gig Details
* NDP Eve Countdown Gig @ Esplanade With Electrico
* New Friendship Forged
* Amusing Accident Account
* My CD Review Of Electrico's 2nd Album Hip City
* 2006 ITE Graduation
* 1st Blog Anniversary
* 2005 Recap
* Double Bill Gig @ Bar None Part 1
* Double Bill Gig @ Bar None Part 2
* Fabled Angst Machine Lyrics
* Double Bill Gig Tickets Pics
* Double Bill Gig News
* Electrico's Sound Therapy Gig @ Esplanade

------------------+++------------------

:: Archives ::

* May 2005
* June 2005
* July 2005
* August 2005
* September 2005
* October 2005
* November 2005
* December 2005
* January 2006
* February 2006
* March 2006
* April 2006
* May 2006
* June 2006
* July 2006
* August 2006
* September 2006
* October 2006
* November 2006
* December 2006
* January 2007
* February 2007
* March 2007
* April 2007
* May 2007
* June 2007
* July 2007
* August 2007
* September 2007
* October 2007
* November 2007
* December 2007
* January 2008
* February 2008
* March 2008
* April 2008
* May 2008
* June 2008
* July 2008
* August 2008
* September 2008
* October 2008
* November 2008
* December 2008
* January 2009
* February 2009
* March 2009
* April 2009
* May 2009
* June 2009
* July 2009
* August 2009
* September 2009
* October 2009
* November 2009
* December 2009

------------------+++------------------

:: Other Blogger Folks ::

* Hui Li
* Hui Lin
* Maggie
* Caleb
* Serene
* Dila
* Hema
* June
* BaoSui
* Saha
* Fieza
* Tim
* Khairil
* Skylar
* Jun Xiang
* Raid
* Jia Rong
* Zuwei
* Gen
* Guo Wei
* Travis
* Jasmine

------------------+++------------------

:: Other Links ::

* Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
* videocodezone
* downloadyoutubevideos
* KeepVid
* A-Nation
* musizislife77
* Music-Omatic
* Ali's Blog
* PopAddicted
* JPopKPop Downloads
* Asian Nation
* Japan-Roll
* AiPop
* occhiamandorla
* BeyondTheSea
* Ayumi Hamasaki -|- SEASONS -|-
* Divine Ayu
* Ayumi Lyrics
* Wiki.theppn.org
* Carbsmart Success Stories
* ILoveAtkins
* Atkins Carb Counter
* Atkins Success Stories
* About.com : Low Carb Diets
* Low Carb Help & Info
* SugarFreeSheila
* Darkstalkers
* Zedge
* Gareth Gates Forums
* 987FM Webcam
* VG Museum
* Fighters Generation
* Manga Translations
* Games Ending Screenshots
* Soundbuzz News
* Mileena
* Perlini Silver
* Ben 10 Episode Guide
* Martin Mystery Episode Guide
* Totally Spies Episode Guide
* American Dragon Episode Guide
* The Batman Episode Guide
* DayDreamGraphics
* MyFreeWallPapers
* My Scene Games
* DC Comics
* Marvel
* Flaming Text
* Batman Beyond
* Batman : TAS
* Jack's Place
* StarHub Cable TV
* Power Rangers Central

------------------+++------------------

:: Poem ::

O Mortals !
What is Love
That binds beyond life on earth ?

To all corners
in a pair we fly
Braving summer
and winter by and by

Union is bliss ;
parting is woe !
Agony is boundless
for a lovelorn soul !

Sweetheart ,
give me word ...
Trail of clouds
drifting forward ...

Amid mountains
capped with snow
Whither shall
my lonesome
shadow go ??

------------------+++------------------

:: Credits ::



Jars Of Jupiter