Sunday, March 25, 2007

Just got back home from NUS's UCC Theatre after catching 1 of the finest local bands in S'pore , The Observatory ! Describing their music as Progressive / Alternative / Folk Rock on their official MySpace http://www.myspace.com/theobservatoryband , their music's simply great & you have no idea how psyched I was to finally able to catch them in performance which incidentally today's the last day of the NUS Arts Festival & they had the honour to close the event with a bang !

Before I stepped inside the theatre , guess who I saw ? Aloysius again ! I didn't saw him til he waved at me & somemore I walked past him oops . He said that The Observatory's 3rd brand new record A Far Cry From Here's available at the foyer already ! I was surprised cos I thought it would be available next weekend , didn't know it's this weekend so I went ahead & bought it .

Love the album cover , so funky & it screams out scarlet red ! He was so kind he asked me to pass him it so that he can get the band to sign for me since he would be backstage taking pics for them since he did the press photos for The Observatory too so why not ?

& before I knew it , Aloysius came out from the theatre with A Far Cry From Here that has been signed ! Thanks man I owe you 1 !

The UCC Theatre's damn cramped so to speak but unlike the UCC Hall , the seats are quite near the stage . I was sitted at the 4th row but I was quite near the stage so to speak . I thought the gig would last for 1 hour but instead it lasted almost 1 1/2 hours . Almost 90% of the place was packed , ranging from working adults , people around my age , basically a mixture of both .

& then the show started with the talented sextet coming onstage & the 1st thing when I stepped inside the theatre was that I realised so many instruments were onstage ! There was even a huge cello :O .

& the folks are real serious people in the business . You're talking about & looking at frontman Leslie Low who fronted Humpback Oak & The Oddfellows + somemore their newest member on board ,drummer Ray Aziz who fronts Throb in which Amanda used to be a member before jumping ship to Electrico.

The only girl in the band , keyboardist Vivian Wang's so gorgeous in person . She looks so exotic even though I know she's chinese but still damn . Their music on whole's basically experimental but yet somehow they managed to retain an original sound.

Anyway they kicked things off with the 1st track from their 2nd album Blank Walls which's Acid Pills , followed by Olives & just for the record , they didn't do any songs from their debut Time Of Rebirth .

Instead the bulk of their songlist consists of all new songs except for 1 from A Far Cry From Here so eariler managed to sample & get to know roughly how their new material sounds like which I wasn't disappointed in that's for sure.

The next whole stretch were new songs , namely Fall of man , wonderkind , Downwards is hellwards , The sink & a song from Blank Walls titled I Didn't See Her which I dig !

It was followed by the 1st track on A Far Cry From Here which's an instrumental number that's very kick ass titled Deatheat & new tracks enlightense , When I see a fire & the only track that Vivian sung on vocals on the new record which's the very cheem sounding the last grand fallible plan.

Bassist Victor was the one who played the cello on some of the songs . Wah you imagine , not only he plays the bass , the cello too ?! That's impressive . Keyboardist Evan also played the bass at 1 point in time too & Ray even though he's techincally the drummer , he was playing some percussion as well.

Did I mention ? I think Leslie's 1 heck of a great guitarist man . I loved the way he plays the guitar , goes to show that he's a real pro seeing that he has been in the local scene for a very long time & he looks even better in person , in fact better than I thought he would be in life haha

& last but definitely not least they closed their set with an encore of 2 songs , the fanastic My Whole Life & Sea Of Doubt . In a way I was glad that they didn't did any songs from Time Of Rebirth cos I personally think that Blank Walls's more edgier & punchier than their debut.

The new material they played eariler , at least it gives me a taste as to how the 3rd CD sounds which's pretty good so far on what I heard.Some was quite eerie strangely but a few stood out which I'm gonna give A Far Cry From Here a listen tomorrow when I make my way to school & in the gym as well. Despite only 9 tracks on the record & with the band performing all except the last track , I think it's definitely worth a listen although this means that I'm very very BROKE at the moment !

I would have loved to stay around & hang out after their gig finished but I have school tomorrow so had to give it a miss eventually but oveall I had a great time & definitely The Observatory are a worth see band to watch live & their music's fab ! Go to http://www.myspace.com/theobservatoryband to sample their music & give it a shot !

++++++++

:: Me Me Me ::



Name :: Hui Min / Karen

B'Day :: 10.1.1987

Occupation :: Uni Student

Location :: Singapore

Been Blogging Since :: 7th Feb '05

No Music No Life - My Music Blog @ Blogspot

------------------+++------------------

:: Posts Worth Checking Out ::

* Happy 3rd Anniversary , KAT-TUN !
* On My Mind Eng Translated Lyrics
* RESCUE Eng Translated Lyrics
* Believe Eng Translated Lyrics
* ONE DROP Eng Translated Lyrics
* Last Post Before 2009
* truth/Kaze no Mukou e Eng Translated Lyrics
* The Click Five's Modern Minds And Great Times Tour
* Early Celebrations Of My 21st B'Day
* Inspirations From Hema's Blog Entry
* 2007 On A Glance
* Aust In A Nutshell
* 987 Stripped With The Click Five + Autograph Session
* 5 Things You Don't Need To Know About The Click Five
* Electrico @ Sony Ericsson's Traffic Jam Street Party @ Connaught Drive
* Caracal & SkiVe In Performance @ Esplanade
* Feeling Good With Nathan Hartono
* Rock For Wayne
* Witnessing SkiVe Doing The Recording Of 987 Home
* Lunarin Does Acoustic @ library@esplanade
* Another Sunday Afternoon @ Far East Plaza
* 987 Control Songlist Set
* The Observatory @ NUS's UCC Theatre
* Sending Electrico Off
* Lunarin's Read My Lips @ NUS's UCC
* Live In New Wave Pics Galore
* Electrico's Live In New Wave Concert Details
* Electrico Going On Indefinite Hiatus
* My Long OverDue B'day Pressie
* Electrico Performs At Ngee Ann Open House
* Happy 20th B'day To Me !
* Stasis9 With Lunarin
* 2006 Recaps
* Christmas With Corrinne May
* Say Hello To My New Friend
* Power Rangers - Forever Red
* LIME Sonic Bang Mayhem Round 2
* LIME Sonic Bang Mayhem Round 1
* Explore S'pore With Astreal & Electrico
* Genting Trip {24th - 27th Nov '06}
* Gigs Galore Here I Come !
* A Pet Kitty Named Homework
* Out & About With Lunarin
* Happy 'Unofficial Electrico' 2nd Anniversary !
* Hady Da New S'pore Idol & Then Some
* Love In New Wave's No1 !
* Forums Emerged
* Waterfest Mayhem
* Electrico's Amazing Race Asia Tour Gig Details
* Bar None Rock Affair Gig Details
* Bar None Rock Affair Soundcheck/Before Gig Details
* NDP Eve Countdown Gig @ Esplanade With Electrico
* New Friendship Forged
* Amusing Accident Account
* My CD Review Of Electrico's 2nd Album Hip City
* 2006 ITE Graduation
* 1st Blog Anniversary
* 2005 Recap
* Double Bill Gig @ Bar None Part 1
* Double Bill Gig @ Bar None Part 2
* Fabled Angst Machine Lyrics
* Double Bill Gig Tickets Pics
* Double Bill Gig News
* Electrico's Sound Therapy Gig @ Esplanade

------------------+++------------------

:: Archives ::

* May 2005
* June 2005
* July 2005
* August 2005
* September 2005
* October 2005
* November 2005
* December 2005
* January 2006
* February 2006
* March 2006
* April 2006
* May 2006
* June 2006
* July 2006
* August 2006
* September 2006
* October 2006
* November 2006
* December 2006
* January 2007
* February 2007
* March 2007
* April 2007
* May 2007
* June 2007
* July 2007
* August 2007
* September 2007
* October 2007
* November 2007
* December 2007
* January 2008
* February 2008
* March 2008
* April 2008
* May 2008
* June 2008
* July 2008
* August 2008
* September 2008
* October 2008
* November 2008
* December 2008
* January 2009
* February 2009
* March 2009
* April 2009
* May 2009
* June 2009
* July 2009
* August 2009
* September 2009
* October 2009
* November 2009
* December 2009

------------------+++------------------

:: Other Blogger Folks ::

* Hui Li
* Hui Lin
* Maggie
* Caleb
* Serene
* Dila
* Hema
* June
* BaoSui
* Saha
* Fieza
* Tim
* Khairil
* Skylar
* Jun Xiang
* Raid
* Jia Rong
* Zuwei
* Gen
* Guo Wei
* Travis
* Jasmine

------------------+++------------------

:: Other Links ::

* Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
* videocodezone
* downloadyoutubevideos
* KeepVid
* A-Nation
* musizislife77
* Music-Omatic
* Ali's Blog
* PopAddicted
* JPopKPop Downloads
* Asian Nation
* Japan-Roll
* AiPop
* occhiamandorla
* BeyondTheSea
* Ayumi Hamasaki -|- SEASONS -|-
* Divine Ayu
* Ayumi Lyrics
* Wiki.theppn.org
* Carbsmart Success Stories
* ILoveAtkins
* Atkins Carb Counter
* Atkins Success Stories
* About.com : Low Carb Diets
* Low Carb Help & Info
* SugarFreeSheila
* Darkstalkers
* Zedge
* Gareth Gates Forums
* 987FM Webcam
* VG Museum
* Fighters Generation
* Manga Translations
* Games Ending Screenshots
* Soundbuzz News
* Mileena
* Perlini Silver
* Ben 10 Episode Guide
* Martin Mystery Episode Guide
* Totally Spies Episode Guide
* American Dragon Episode Guide
* The Batman Episode Guide
* DayDreamGraphics
* MyFreeWallPapers
* My Scene Games
* DC Comics
* Marvel
* Flaming Text
* Batman Beyond
* Batman : TAS
* Jack's Place
* StarHub Cable TV
* Power Rangers Central

------------------+++------------------

:: Poem ::

O Mortals !
What is Love
That binds beyond life on earth ?

To all corners
in a pair we fly
Braving summer
and winter by and by

Union is bliss ;
parting is woe !
Agony is boundless
for a lovelorn soul !

Sweetheart ,
give me word ...
Trail of clouds
drifting forward ...

Amid mountains
capped with snow
Whither shall
my lonesome
shadow go ??

------------------+++------------------

:: Credits ::



Jars Of Jupiter